Bug Tracker
SourceForge
Feedback
Wiki
Stor
It is currently October 18th, 2017, 10:17 pm

Page 3 of 188 [ 2814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 188  Next
 Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: July 6th, 2009, 1:35 am 
More than 1000 posts
More than 1000 posts

Y'all should up those videos to Vimeo, make a splash page talking about MeediOS with links to the various threads that would be useful (bot releases, tutorials, wikis, etc) and email the hell out of the link to various related blogs. Some off the top of my head that would be interested:

Lifehacker
Engadget
Gizmodo
GeekTonic
MissingRemote
BoingBoing (maybe, they really dig OSS stuff though)

Once you get on those you'll get relinked incessantly for about 24-48 hours. Obviously this isn't a full release, but it might put MeediOS on a lot of people's radars. I'm sure there are others out there who want another alternative besides various forks of XBMC and Sage.

I can help out on putting some of it together, unless zag has it down.

Obviously no insult to any of the other themes around, in fact we should probably do videos of those as well.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: July 6th, 2009, 2:20 am 
More than 4000 posts
More than 4000 posts
Designer

EC wrote:
Y'all should up those videos to Vimeo, make a splash page talking about MeediOS with links to the various threads that would be useful (bot releases, tutorials, wikis, etc) and email the hell out of the link to various related blogs...

You may want to check first post again to see why I don't think we are there yet... in fact I'm not sure that Zag putting those videos on Vimeo was good idea either. There are lot's of issues yet to resolve and even experienced meedio users have trouble digest all of the changes meediOS brings (I know I have) so I don't believe that dealing with newcomers that have no idea what is importer or view-step or module will do any good right now... just my 2c

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: July 6th, 2009, 3:07 am 
More than 2000 posts
More than 2000 posts

I agree with crn. There's still lots of work to be done. No sense having people download something that has issues.

Shawn

My MeediOS plugins:
WMCommand

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: July 6th, 2009, 9:24 am 
More than 6000 posts
More than 6000 posts

Please use this thread to talk about other theme conversion.

Also I agree with CRN, there is no point publicising meedios until we have a semi stable, functional product. Also I need to make some modifications to the website to handle the load of a slashdotting :) New thread here

Anyway back to this theme and some comments:

- Ken burns effect on the main menus should be optional, it slows my htpc down a lot. I do love it on the movie details screen though when it is darkened it looks an amazing effect.
- Also would like a way to turn off the RSS feeds on the main menu, its kind of distracting. Maybe there is a way to make them fade in and out instead of moving left to right. That would be a cool effect.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: July 6th, 2009, 11:22 am 
More than 4000 posts
More than 4000 posts
Designer

zag2me wrote:
Anyway back to this theme and some comments:

- Ken burns effect on the main menus should be optional, it slows my htpc down a lot. I do love it on the movie details screen though when it is darkened it looks an amazing effect.
- Also would like a way to turn off the RSS feeds on the main menu, its kind of distracting. Maybe there is a way to make them fade in and out instead of moving left to right. That would be a cool effect.

I can easily make action to have RSS enabled / disabled but currently there is no way for theme to remember that settings permanently, also there are no theme settings options either (yet). I proposed concept to the HDW but he's busy with more important stuff at the moment so we'll have to leave that for some other time (unless someone else wants to get into it ?)

as for the Ken burns effect on the main menus what do you mean by slows down ? Effect itself is CPU consuming ? Loading images takes to much ...?
On my system kenburns does not use any CPU at all (maybe it's hardware accelerated). As for the loading images, currently slideshow control in the main menu tries to preload all of the images from the background folder you set in module config so if there are to many images it takes a while (I tried using my meedio fanart folder with few hundreds images and that freezes meediOS). As a rule you don't use more then a few images for each menu item and once you go trough main menu back and forth all images should be preloaded and everything should run smoothly. Only problem remains that sometimes images are changed as soon as you move from one menu item to another and sometimes it takes for current slide to finish...

also not sure what version you have but have you tried to stop slidehow all together from the top menu and see if that makes any difference ?

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: July 6th, 2009, 12:38 pm 
More than 500 posts
More than 500 posts

i think I have an idea how to use theme settings.

In WPF you can bind any property to xml (http://joshsmithonwpf.wordpress.com/200 ... ng-to-xml/)

so let's create a themesettings.xml in your resources/screens/evolution folder.

if we have a standard format for the elements in the xml value than not only can you use it in your theme (for example, you would bind the visibility of a certain element to a setting in the xml file), I could write a module for changing the settings from MeediOS.

For the XML file I propose the following format:
<settings>
   <settingsgroup name="Home Screen">
     <setting name="rssvisible" type="bool" default="true" description="Show RSS feeds on main screen" value="false" />
      <setting name="weathervisible" type="bool" default="true" description="Show Weather on main screen" value="true"/>
      <setting name="anothersetting" type="string" default="Hello!" description="A dropdown list with some choices" value="Hello!">
           <choice value="choice A">
           <choice value="choice B">
           <choice value="Hello!">
       </setting>

<..>
    </settingsgroup>

< ... other setting groups >     
</settings>

You would only need to bind to the value key of a setting.

If everybody agrees, I will write up a WIKI page with requirements for the xml file. The available types can be extended of course.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: July 6th, 2009, 1:21 pm 
More than 4000 posts
More than 4000 posts
Designer

maarten77 wrote:
i think I have an idea how to use theme settings.

In WPF you can bind any property to xml (http://joshsmithonwpf.wordpress.com/200 ... ng-to-xml/)

so let's create a themesettings.xml in your resources/screens/evolution folder.

if we have a standard format for the elements in the xml value than not only can you use it in your theme (for example, you would bind the visibility of a certain element to a setting in the xml file), I could write a module for changing the settings from MeediOS.

For the XML file I propose the following format:
<settings>
   <settingsgroup name="Home Screen">
     <setting name="rssvisible" type="bool" default="true" description="Show RSS feeds on main screen" value="false" />
      <setting name="weathervisible" type="bool" default="true" description="Show Weather on main screen" value="true"/>
      <setting name="anothersetting" type="string" default="Hello!" description="A dropdown list with some choices" value="Hello!">
           <choice value="choice A">
           <choice value="choice B">
           <choice value="Hello!">
       </setting>

<..>
    </settingsgroup>

< ... other setting groups >     
</settings>

You would only need to bind to the value key of a setting.

If everybody agrees, I will write up a WIKI page with requirements for the xml file. The available types can be extended of course.

yes that's more or less exactly what I proposed to HDW :D

crn wrote:
The way I see it we need some kind of equivalent of meedio theme.settings file with list of default values and a way to overwrite those values from within meediOS. Then meediOS would read that file upon startup and/or module initialization and use values in there as defaults referencing control names or screen name + control name

e.g.

<Theme settings>

Screen name = home.screen
Control name = backgroundslideshow
Property = Paused
Value = False

Screen name = home.screen
Control name = backgroundslideshow
Property = Duration
Value = 00:00:30

Screen name = mediaMovies.screen
Control name = topmenu
Property = Visibility
Value = Collapsed

</Theme settings>

If control is not referenced in the theme.settings file then whatever default value is set in the screen/style/template is used...

This way we could change values in the screens from inside meediOS but main problem was to write those changes back to the settings file... if you could make that happened that would be great.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: July 6th, 2009, 1:57 pm 
More than 500 posts
More than 500 posts

ha, that is almost the same! :-)

with an external xml file and databinding everything is automatic without needing to write extra code for WPFUI. the settings don't need to be applied in code.

reading and writing the xml file from a module is easy.

in my example, i use "value" and "default". the default is only for use in the theme settings module (so the user can revert back to default settings).
a "fresh" themesettings.xml would have all values for "default" and "value" the same. maybe it is also possible to use a fallback mechanism with databinding.

anyway, I'll show you a sample ASAP.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: July 6th, 2009, 3:56 pm 
More than 2000 posts
More than 2000 posts

Great Britain
smf007 wrote:
Jong wrote:
IMO the tearing needs to eliminated though (too fast at drawing frames?!). Needs vsync.
IIRC vsync does deal with tearing but leaves the thread idle for lost of time (buffer locking). Triple buffering would be better because then one buffer is always unlocked. Now, is that accessible in WPF??
Yes I agree triple buffering would be better. I am going to try uisng D3DOverider with Meedios which can try to force both vsync and triple buffer, but the results are varied. Sometimes it works. Sometimes not at all! better that it is fixed in the core.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: July 6th, 2009, 5:36 pm 
More than 2000 posts
More than 2000 posts

Hey crn,

just want to say thank you for this.
I already knew we just needed to wait and you masterpiece would have arrived.

I have always loved your themes and this is even better than my expectation.

Sure, I know a lot has to be done (not just by you but mostly on the MeediOS Core and Plugins), but I really love what I see.

I will personally do my best to help (for what I am capable that is not much...).

So, once again, thank you.

Dakkar

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: July 6th, 2009, 9:07 pm 
More than 2000 posts
More than 2000 posts

Great Britain
Jong wrote:
smf007 wrote:
Jong wrote:
IMO the tearing needs to eliminated though (too fast at drawing frames?!). Needs vsync.
IIRC vsync does deal with tearing but leaves the thread idle for lost of time (buffer locking). Triple buffering would be better because then one buffer is always unlocked. Now, is that accessible in WPF??
Yes I agree triple buffering would be better. I am going to try uisng D3DOverider with Meedios which can try to force both vsync and triple buffer, but the results are varied. Sometimes it works. Sometimes not at all! better that it is fixed in the core.
I know this is a bit OT, but since discussion started here ....

Forcing vsync on seems to work quite well although it does seem to have an impact on smoothness (as is common, the fps often seems more like refresh rate/2 when scrolling).

Triple buffering does not work. For some reason forcing it seems to slow Meedios to a crawl. Done properly it should work though.

I promise that is the end of vsync discussions now. :oops:

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: July 7th, 2009, 3:25 pm 
More than 6000 posts
More than 6000 posts

Is there anyway to turn off the ken burns effect fanart on the main menu? Or even fanart entirely off?

The theme is unusable on my work computer, it takes at least a second between fanart changes.

Vision theme without fanart is fine and very responsive.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: July 7th, 2009, 6:26 pm 
More than 4000 posts
More than 4000 posts
Designer

zag2me wrote:
Is there anyway to turn off the ken burns effect fanart on the main menu? Or even fanart entirely off?

The theme is unusable on my work computer, it takes at least a second between fanart changes.

Vision theme without fanart is fine and very responsive.

currently there is no theme settings module so only way would be to remove them from the screens and replace them with something else but I'd rather see them optimized then forgotten

- for now you can simply remove modules background using meediOS config and theme will use default background also don't use fanart in library views

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: July 7th, 2009, 11:02 pm 
More than 2000 posts
More than 2000 posts
Developer

According to task manager Ken Burns isn't responsible.

It's loading or rendering the image. The images are quite large (1920x1080), so they need a reasonable amount of memory - both in video RAM and in MeediOS' cache. But I guess it's more the rendering quality and the use of WPF's video cache ... As crn already pointed out, increasing MeediOS' cache size helps a lot.

The following also makes a huge difference on my PC:

In WPFSlideshows Template:
<DataTemplate>
  <Image
    RenderOptions.BitmapScalingMode="LowQuality"
    RenderOptions.CachingHint="Cache"

The first line decreases the rendering quality of the Image. Valid values are "NearesNeighbor", "LowQuality", "HighQuality", and "Fant". In my opinion "LowQuality" or "NearestNeighbor" are good enough for a background image.

The second line forces WPF to cache the image objects. I have no idea how this increases anything, but I have the impression that this improves things. I might be wrong.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: July 8th, 2009, 12:22 am 
More than 4000 posts
More than 4000 posts
Designer

Theme is up / check the first post for download link
    (I suggest beta testers also update as I added few more stuff and fixed some of the issues...)

Page 3 of 188 [ 2814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 188  Next